8 Things You Can Only Buy in Turkey
1. Hand-Painted Iznik Ceramics
If you’ve ever been to any of the imperial mosques around Turkey, it’s likely you have seen the beautiful dark red and turquoise hues of the famous Iznik tiles. Even though the Iznik tiles lived out their heyday during the Ottoman Empire, the tradition still continues and there are only a few places that sell real hand-painted Iznik ceramic. Definitely drop by Iznik Art in the Grand Bazaar to get your hands on some genuine hand-painted ceramics.
2. Bilgeoğlu Baklava
Baklava is a dessert that is popular in many Middle Eastern cultures and can therefore be frequently found outside Turkey. However, Bilgeoğlu’s amazing kuru baklava, made with pistachios from Gaziantep and clarified butter can only be found on Istanbul’s Asian side. You’ll know you’ve come to the right place when you see the large stack of baklavas in the window.
3. Textiles from Tulu
Turkey is not the only country in the world that is famous for its beautiful textiles, but only Turkey has Tulu, an amazing shop with a myriad of exceptionally colorful goods. From bedding with swirling and curling prints of brightly-colored flowers to soft and beautiful kimonos and pijamas, Tulu is a haven for people who love color in their home décor.
4. Nuri Toplar Turkish Coffee
Turkish coffee is another product that can be found in many other countries, however, it’s only in the vicinity of the Grand Bazaar that you can buy the Turkish coffee of Nuri Toplar. Established in 1890, not much has changed in terms of the excellent Turkish coffee that Nuri Toplar roasts with wood fire, giving it that exceptional taste.
5. Abdulla Hamam Accessories
The Turkish bath has also become quite ubiquitous all over the world, and products such as the thin hamam towels (peshtemal) or the special olive oil soap can also be found all over. However, it’s only in the Grand Bazaar that you can find the all-natural products of Abdulla, including hand woven pesthemal from a mix of raw silk, linen, and cotton, and handmade natural soaps.
6. Organic Towels and Jennifer’s Hamam
Speaking of amazing towels, Jennifer’s Hamam in the Arasta Bazaar is another stop to buy beautiful fluffy towels and peshtemal that are made from organic cotton. Established by the Canadian-born Jennifer Gaudet, the store is proud to work with some of the last families that continue the tradition of Turkish hand-weaving.
7. Classic Turkish Carpets from Ethnicon and Dhoku
Turkey is one of the countries in the world that is famous for its carpets, and Ethnicon and Dhoku are two stores (under the same management) where you can find some of the best examples. Whether you want a traditional design or something a bit modern, the two stores right across from each in the Grand Bazaar have been around for years, adding a very Turkish touch to homes all over the world.
8. Turkish Sweets from Hacı Bekir
Turkish Delight can be found all over the world, but it’s only at Hacı Bekir that you get to travel back in time, because the store in Sultanahmet hasn’t changed much since its opening in 1777. Decked out in deep mahogany and with classic displays of Turkish candy, get a bag of mixed Turkish hard candy (Akide) as well as pistachio or almond marzipan, and, of course, a nice box of Turkish Delight.
- Turkey Immigration Services recommends honeymoon destinations in Turkey
- An old friend in Turkey is missing you on Friendship day
- International Women’s Day
- Love Is In The Air
- New Year - New Everything
- Wrap the old year with a bow - Start a new one with a bang
- Shocking sale on Black Friday
- Turkey & Azerbaijan - Where the continents collide
- Travel is better with friends. 35% e-Visa discount for you and your friends to travel the world
- PACK YOUR BACK BECAUSE SUMMER IS BACK!
- May the lovely festival of Easter brings you lots of joy, love and happiness.
- Happy Women’s Day - We are stronger together!
- Chinese new year: a blessing for everyone!
- Make Yourself Comfortable With This Amazing Gift
- Check out Our Mysterious Gift in this Halloween now
- Explore new places with 20% DISCOUNT now
- 20% off for making eVisa! Let's energize yourself now!
- This web browser will upgrade to TLS 1.1
- Traveling to Turkey? Read this first!
- Summer 2018 hot deal of eVISA
- Popular Turkish Food Dishes
- 8 Things You Can Only Buy in Turkey
- Sweet Promotion for Valentine’s Day only
- Apply Visa with cheap price in 2018
- BEST DEAL for 2017 holiday trip
- Big SALE on Black Friday – 17 Nov, 2017
- Great Discount for Halloween – Oct 31, 2017
- 10 Best Turkish Street Foods
- 5 Simple (Yet Little Known) Rules to Enjoy Turkish Coffee
- The great architect sinan (Koca Mimar Sinan)
- 10 Best Places to Visit in Turkey
- Top 10 Beaches In Turkey
- National Festivals in Turkey